Friday, April 5, 2013

Planning Advice

It's that time of year again...wedding season! In honor of the upcoming months of watching the bride and her dad cry as they sway to "My Girl," I'm changing this post up a bit. This time last year I was attempting to juggle classes, upcoming law school finals, wedding parties, and planning what I hoped to be the perfect wedding 4 to 5 hours away from me. You might say I was stressed. I can't say that I'm sad that the planning is over, but I can say that it was all worth it in the end. 

For those of you going through that situation as we speak (or those with friends who are) here are some pieces of advice that I'd like to pass to those stressed brides to be.

1) Your wedding WILL NOT be perfect.

That's right, ladies. No matter if you've been planning for 3 months, or since 3 years old, things will go wrong. For instance, the beautiful reception venue that Jackson and I chose BURNED DOWN just a few short weeks before the big day. We had already designed out the entire event with our vendors and that vision could no longer happen. Not only that, but our preacher cancelled on us. It turns out that his son popped the question and picked our date for his nuptials. Naturally the dad chose his son over officiating at our service. And finally, our super cute get away boat that I LOVED was vandalized weeks before and there was no way to replace it in time. Although I was disappointed by these things, we were able to find excellent alternatives and use the misfortunes to haggle some prices. The wedding wound up perfect for us.

2) Roll with the punches.

This advice really goes hand in hand with my previous statement. In the end, what matters is that you are married. It's likely that nobody will know that your cake doesn't look identical to the picture you showed the cake lady. Although it's easy to note these things since you've been tirelessly planning, you can't let mishaps ruin what should be the happiest day to celebrate incredible love. My suggestion for coping is knowing that it's going to happen beforehand and setting your mind that you are not going to let your mind be bothered with stuff. On the day, it will seem petty to you anyway, and whatever you're missing might actually be there. It's hard to take it all in!

3) It's perfectly acceptable to call people and ask if they are coming if they haven't sent in an RSVP. 

Most wedding guests forget that you are paying per person and it's difficult to guess when half of the invitation recipients didn't return the RSVP. This was especially troubling for our seated dinner. However, most guests were really polite about it when called. 

4) Don't get caught spending money on things that don't matter.

What matters for people varies. What was important for me was a good band, a good photographer, and food/drinks. The food, drinks, and band make people want to stay and have fun. The pictures are what last. Jackson and I cut a lot of little expenses like printed napkins, koozies, etc. and instead put that towards the things we really cared about. I really don't think anybody noticed because they were spending time on the dance floor!

5) Pay special attention to your wedding party. 

They've been through a lot (and spent a lot) to make this day special for you. Show them that you appreciate it!! Don't forget to plan for them to eat lunch on the day of. So many times during all the getting ready and rushing around, feeding the wedding party is overlooked. If you don't feed them, you can't be upset when one falls out in the middle of the vows. 

6) Slow down and plan some time for the two of you.

Everybody says it but a wedding goes by really fast!! Not to mention usually something is running behind on your perfectly timed schedule of events. Therefore, if alone time is not planned, it won't happen! On the day of the wedding you are so concerned about where people are and trying to talk to each of them that it's important to remember that your wedding is about you and your husband. Pay attention to each other.

Some people have told me I would miss planning when it was all over. That has not been the case. But I don't regret a minute of it. Jackson and I both talk about our wedding day as the most fun day of our life and I don't think it would have been near as much fun if we hadn't put in the work up front to make it what we wanted. In the end, I wouldn't change a thing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment