Thursday, May 30, 2013

Anniversary Thoughts

On Sunday, Jackson and I will have officially survived our first year of marriage. I have no idea how it's even possible that a year has already passed. The great "they sayers" say that the first year of marriage is the hardest. Either that isn't true at all or we have years of blissful ease ahead because this year has been one of the best years of my life. When you are young, you lean on your parents and it is enough. At some age though, at least in my case, you reach a point where life experiences bring you out of the realm of your parents' understanding. I'm so lucky to be with a person who lets me lean on him and leans back on me. When you think of your husband supporting you, most of the time a person imagines the financial aspect. I have come to think that emotional support is more important. As a strong, intelligent, sometimes too independent woman, I could survive on my own financially. However, what Jackson gives me, I could never do for myself. I know I always have a partner.

Jackson and I have discussed things that make a marriage work not only in our life but also in the lives of our families and role models. I'm sure we will continue to learn these little things all along the way. For now, we think that a big part is appreciation (and I add that you can't adequately appreciate if you don't communicate). People want to be acknowledged for the things they do for others. It seems like it is so easy to take a spouse for granted. After all, they are there and doing those things for you all the time. But the crazy thing we've seen is that appreciation is reciprocal. If Jackson brings me flowers home from work, I start thinking about how sweet he is and go pick him up a new shirt. If I thank Jackson for cutting the grass and say how good it looks, appreciation comes back to me. It creates the ultimate win win situation. 

This weekend we are celebrating our first year of wedded bliss in Atlanta for a relaxing weekend. We are so excited to get away and just be together without the distractions of ordinary life. Our thoughts will be on the most fun weekend ever one year ago. If you have 20 minutes, here's a peek into that great day.


Happy Anniversary to the one my soul loves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment